wiki sites, wiki software, how do we go forward ?

Simon Michael simon at joyful.com
Wed Mar 23 21:04:05 UTC 2005

goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:
> Now, wiki's are good and bad IMHO. :) The bad is that they often grow
> without a "plan". The structure is less obvious. I would actually favor
> a hierarchical documentation for Squeak, like a "proper" manual. As an

Wikis aren't necessarily incompatible with structure; there are various
ways to rearrange that soup of pages into a hierarchy, for example.
Wikipedia uses category markers (WikiBadges) and special index pages
like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Airports . Zwiki goes a step
further and provides UI features for "reparenting" pages, like
http://zwiki.org/UsersGuide/backlinks . I find adding hierarchy to a
wiki later works really well. I didn't mention it on my wishlist of
features for a squeak wiki, because it doesn't feel like a showstopper.