wiki sites, wiki software, how do we go forward ?

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Thu Mar 24 07:15:54 UTC 2005

>> Wikis aren't necessarily incompatible with structure; there are
>> various ways to rearrange that soup of pages into a hierarchy, for
>> example. Wikipedia uses category markers (WikiBadges) and special
>> index pages like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Airports .
>> Zwiki goes a step further and provides UI features for "reparenting"
>> pages, like
>> http://zwiki.org/UsersGuide/backlinks . I find adding hierarchy to a
>> wiki later works really well. I didn't mention it on my wishlist of
>> features for a squeak wiki, because it doesn't feel like a >
>> showstopper.
>
> Good points.  I tend to agree that "reparenting" and reorganizing the
> existing content will actually probably work out better than starting
> from scratch.  (Because starting this sort of documentation from
> scratch inevitably goes nowhere. :-) )
>
> Getting the content more directly accessible in Squeak would be great,
> but that feels like one of those things that we shouldn't wait around
> forever for, either...  Upgrading the swiki to a new version or
> something else (e.g. SmallWiki) might still be worth the effort.
> Anyway, this effort would need a leader.  Simon? :-)

I think that you should wait for SmallWiki two (seaside UI, better
actions, better paths, better...)
but this also means that we will need some help because lukas can't do
everything. If you are really into that and want to help
drop us an email because now SmallWiki is developed in squeak and we
will see if this community is real what it claims to be. ;)

Stef