wiki sites, wiki software, how do we go forward ?

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Thu Mar 24 08:04:12 UTC 2005

Hi guys!

Doug Way <dway at mailcan.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 23, 2005, at 04:04 PM, Simon Michael wrote:
> > goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:
> >> Now, wiki's are good and bad IMHO. :) The bad is that they often grow
> >> without a "plan". The structure is less obvious. I would actually
> >> favor
> >> a hierarchical documentation for Squeak, like a "proper" manual. As an
> >
> > Wikis aren't necessarily incompatible with structure; there are
> > various ways to rearrange that soup of pages into a hierarchy, for
> > example. Wikipedia uses category markers (WikiBadges) and special
> > index pages like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Airports .
> > Zwiki goes a step further and provides UI features for "reparenting"
> > pages, like
> > http://zwiki.org/UsersGuide/backlinks . I find adding hierarchy to a
> > wiki later works really well. I didn't mention it on my wishlist of
> > features for a squeak wiki, because it doesn't feel like a > showstopper.

I agree - and as a matter of fact - I have a wiki implementation of my
own in Squeak with a hierarchy on it. :) This is built-into my
HomepageBuilder app.

> Good points.  I tend to agree that "reparenting" and reorganizing the
> existing content will actually probably work out better than starting
> from scratch.  (Because starting this sort of documentation from
> scratch inevitably goes nowhere. :-) )

Yes. But on the other hand ownership/connection to packages is also an
important piece.
And exactly how to do that (add a hierarchical structure that is) in the
existing Swiki implementation is less obvious to me. :)

> Getting the content more directly accessible in Squeak would be great,
> but that feels like one of those things that we shouldn't wait around
> forever for, either...  Upgrading the swiki to a new version or
> something else (e.g. SmallWiki) might still be worth the effort.
> Anyway, this effort would need a leader.  Simon? :-)

The Squeak Swiki has actually been upgraded to 1.4 (the latest fresh
release from Jochen), though I am not sure what it contains... ehe, oh,
cool, it seems it has "plugins" now:

	http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/help#plugins

> By the way, the other suggestion on
> http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/1088 was an obviously good one that
> I hadn't thought of... you shouldn't be able to lock a page unless it's
> one you just created.
>
> - Doug

regards, Göran