Squeak Headless

Daniel Salama dsalama at user.net
Fri Mar 25 18:48:13 UTC 2005

On Mar 25, 2005, at 1:20 PM,
squeak-dev-request at lists.squeakfoundation.org wrote:

> Message: 9
> Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 16:41:13 +0100
> From: Jan B. Krej?? <janbkrejci at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Squeak Headless
> To: The general-purpose Squeak developers list
> 	<squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org>
>
> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 10:38:24 -0500, Daniel Salama <dsalama at user.net>
> wrote:
>> I just read about it and looks like it does what I need. However, then
>> the question I have is: can I take the linux squeak image, open it in
>> my OS X Squeak VM, load the RFB package and then launch the image
>> again
>> from linux?
>
> sure, the image can be freely transferred between all the platforms
> (at least everybody promises it :-) )
>
> --
> .:jbk:.
> Jan B. Krejci

Jan,

So I installed the RFB package on the linux image which I loaded under
my OSX and then transferred the image back to linux. When I launched
squeak in linux, RFB didn't start up. So I tried doing some experiments
in my OSX box. The problem I found was that when running Squeak, I can
launch the RFB Server and connect to it with VNC with no problems.
Then, I save and quit Squeak telling RFB to automatically launch RFB
Server next time the image boots. The problem is that when I restart
the image, RFB Server is no longer running and I have to start it
manually.

Therefore, when I copied the image to linux and launched squeak
headless, RFB is not running and therefore I can't connect to it using
VNC. How it is that you have your setup so that when you launch squeak
as a start up service, it launches headless and with RFB Server
started?

Thanks,
Daniel