Class Instance variables

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Mon Mar 28 23:54:53 UTC 2005

In the article
<http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.smalltalk/msg/63af6a2749af4a17>,
there's a link to
<http://www.scottishdevelopers.com/downloads/articles/AWeeBletherAboutSmalltalk.pdf>, which claims that Squeak doesn't have Class Instance variables.

I offered a rebuttal (which hasn't made it to googlenews yet) that
clearly stated that not only does Squeak *have* Class Instance
variables, I was able to determine that there were 22 instances of such
in my current image, with the expression:

(Metaclass allInstances select: [:m | m instanceVariables size > 0]) size

And I had no clue how to do that before I spent about 8 minutes
browsing the image.  But there are the results. :) I even browsed a
few of the classes just to see how they were used.  Nothing
significant, but nice to know they're there, and that the original PDF
was wrong.

Smalltalk, for being reflexively introspective, is unbeatable.