Is Smalltalk powerful? Prove it!

Noury Bouraqadi bouraqadi at ensm-douai.fr
Tue Mar 29 13:47:24 UTC 2005

Dear Germán,

Le 29 mars 05, à 13:41, gsa at arsol.net a écrit :

> I want to ask you if a product that I've developed in the last months
> may be
> applicable.

Yes of course, as long as you can provide is available on-line for
evaluation (time-limited evaluation version, demo version, free for
non-commercial use...)

> I'm a lover of Smalltalk and wanting to prove if a Squeak product may
> be viable
> to shareware market I've developed a simple Search Engines Adder named
> Promoter
> (http://promoter.arsol.biz).
Internet related applications are among the most interesting softwares
I'd like to see at the awards. Last year the winner was SmallWiki...

> Promoter isn´t a Technology Innovation. Rather than is a proof of
> concept of how
> to package an app in Squeak, how to make an easy to use windows
> installer/uninstaller, how to have at the same time the solution
> available to
> anothers operating systems, how to update the software and the data to
> paying
> customers and, in short, how to bring Squeak solutions to shareware
> market
> without lossing the customer benefits of being open source but
> permiting also
> to developer earn some money.
>
> A lot of features must yet be added to Promoter, but the first usable
> version is
> ready to download.
That's okay.

> Another problem is, although go to ESUG some day is one of my work
> dreams, the
> economical situation don't permit me (living in Argentina) trip to
> Europa to
> ESUG conference, but I can present by internet or another way that you
> consider.

Last year one of the winners (Göran with SqueakMap) couldn't make the
trip.
I commented the slide show he sent me (10min).
So, if you know somebody who will attend you can ask him to do the
presentation for you.

An alternative is to make a video with your slides/demo and your audio
comments. So, I just play it during the conference.

> Well, is all for now, I wait your opinion, and if you think that I can
> send
> Promoter to the award, this will be a real honour for me.

Yes, please do.

Kind regards,
Noury

Dr. Noury Bouraqadi - Enseignant/Chercheur
Ecole des Mines de Douai - Dept. G.I.P
http://csl.ensm-douai.fr/noury

European Smalltalk Users Group Board
http://www.esug.org