Magma (was: ODBMS querying (was: Multithreading))

Ross Boylan RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org
Wed Mar 30 19:27:02 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 07:54:55AM -0800, Chris Muller wrote:
> > Great!!! What is the current status of Magma?
>
> Magma has been rocking the last few months.  There are many new features since
> 1.0gamma7 such as live class-evolution, support for concurrent development,
> forwarding proxies, support most kinds of objects including Projects, nested
> transactions and a lot more.

I'm glad to hear this.  http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2665 starts
off with this:

2/16/2004 - NOTE, all Magma pages are being updated for an impending
new release. The information here is not entirely applicable to
"1.0gamma7" the current version on SqueakMap. I hope to have them
complete real soon now. Thank you for your patience.

Judging from the date I thought maybe it was dead.

> It is still not ready for commercial though.

One missing feature of earlier versions particularly concerned me:
transactionns are not atomic in the case of radical failure (power
out, process killed).  In other words, such an event could leave the
database in a corrupt state.  Has that changed?

I have an app  that desperately needs a db, and I've been considering
magma.  I also need the time to make the change :)

> > Do you have a Monticello repository for Magma?
>
> Yes, http://kilana.unibe.ch:8888/MagmaTester.  This is the under-development
> version but still more stable than the one on SqueakMap.
>
> > Or do I need to try the latest from SqueakMap?
>
> No, that's very old (1.0gamma7), don't use that one.  I hope to replace it soon

It would probably be good to update the swiki.