My first Magma experience

Chris Muller chris at funkyobjects.org
Thu Mar 31 19:05:22 UTC 2005

Hi Daniel,

> MaObjectSerializationSecurityViolation signal: Serializations beyond 10
> megabytes are not allowed.
>
> Well, that sucked. Then, I decided to break the commits into individual
> object commits. For that, I executed the following:

You had the correct idea to commit it in smaller chunks.  It sounds like this
xmt object is very large.

> After I executed this, I inspected ms to see that it is of
> MagmaServerConsole type and has an attribute called statistics, which
> I'll come back to later.

Oops, you never went back to it.  I was hoping to see whether the stats were
indicative of 11-minutes worth of commits...

> When I ran this, it still takes all of the VM CPU time and after 11
> minutes, it came back with an exception:
>
> MagmaSoftwareError signal: #UndefinedObject, should implement
> maIsChangedFrom:using:.

Ah, I see what the problem is.  It is a Squeak bug which was not fixed in 3.7.
It's actually two bugs which are described here:

  http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2004-June/078839.html

One of these has been integrated into 3.8, the other hasn't.  As of yesterday,
I re-posted Magma to SqueakSource with these fixes included.  It sounds like
you did not load Magma from SqueakSource since then.  Please verify the version
you are using is not the latest and try your test again.

If run into further issues, and please copy me directly to ensure I don't miss
your post to the list.

 - Chris