[Fwd: asked for ISP donations?]

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Mon May 2 17:07:49 UTC 2005

Lex suggested I forward this to 'whoever is considering these issues'
and that seems to be any member of the community who cares to do so and
so I'm forwarding it to the main list.

There are multiple issues here and I'm currently of the opinion that a
commercial box, as we have been discussing, is probably preferable.  One
issue in particular that occurs to me is whether or not any university
or other such institution is likely to be comfortable with users that
have no affiliation with the organization having super user access to a
box on their network.

Another thought is that with the commercial server funded by voluntary
donations we are more easily able to share the responsibility for
maintaining the server.  In the voluntary hosting model a lot of the
responsibility ends up on the hosting volunteer(s) and is very difficult
to shift if needed.

I have some other thoughts but how about we first see whether or not
anyone even can offer such hosting.

Ken