Squeak Licence

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Fri May 6 15:43:56 UTC 2005

Serge Stinckwich <Serge.Stinckwich at info.unicaen.fr> wrote:
> Sorry Cees, we can't call beancounting wankers all the people that are
> not agree with us : Debian people, SPI people, RMML people, ...
>
> Unfortunalty the world is not rule by spirit but by letter stuff ...
>
> Righ now the licence is a big problem for Squeak and his distribution :
> problems with the Linux distributions, problems with the open-source
> conferences, problems for the adoption of Squeak in the open-source
> pedagogical community, ...

Yes we can.  RMS, debian-legal (emphatically *NOT* representative of
Debian at large), and this RMLL committee are all beancounting wankers.
They are inventing problems--perhaps in order to make themselves
relevant?

There will be problems with Squeak-L if it ever comes to the courts.
Just like with GPL, MIT, BSD, and any other license you name.  The
issues just aren't settled.  No one knows what the letter of the law
is, in these cases, so the spirit and practice are all we really have to go by.

We *might* end up compromising with these guys just to get along.
That doesn't mean we have to respect them.  This license lawyering is
causing real harm to open source, and we  should not shy from telling them.

In the mean time, we shouldn't get worked up about them.  It's their
conference, and they can be irrelevant if they want to.  Our actual
customers can decide for themselves.

Lex