[Fwd: asked for ISP donations?]

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Sat May 7 03:44:51 UTC 2005

On Wednesday, May 4, 2005, at 11:23 AM, Marcus Denker wrote:

>> Am 04.05.2005 um 15:47 schrieb Lex Spoon:
>>>
>>> And yet, exactly this has happened in the past.

> So I don't get how this would take away anyting "from the community"?
> To the contrary: It makes the whole setup more open. E.g. when Cees
> was running the stuff, everything needed to be funneled through him.
> With the new setup (in place in the virtual server already) we are
> much more
> community based: There is a group of people that can fix stuff, get
> new services running... it enables community, not destroys it.

For what it's worth, I agree 100%.  The box admins should choose
whichever approach they think will work best.

In this case, the donation approach for a commercial server seems like
the most flexible and sustainable approach.  $500/year is really not
much money at all considering the overall community... getting 10
people a year to donate $50 or so shouldn't be too hard.

Getting volunteer boxes from other folks in the community is still a
great idea for things like mirrors, but maybe not for the really core
items like the squeak.org website, etc.

- Doug