How to change the squeak licence ?

Serge Stinckwich Serge.Stinckwich at info.unicaen.fr
Sun May 8 19:31:19 UTC 2005

Cees De Groot a écrit :
> On 5/6/05, Hilaire Fernandes <hilaire at ext.cri74.org> wrote:
>
>>Cn you reword? I will be interested to understand what you mean by "VRI
>>has nailed this problem"
>>

> Read the license on
> http://croquetproject.org/Croquet_Technologies/license.html - that's
> the only license you're going to get when you download Croquet.
> Viewpoints Research Institute effectively gives you a license to
> Croquet (and, because it is included with it, Squeak) that is mostly a
> MIT/BSD style license. Which means that it appears they have nailed
> the problem of re-licensing Squeak.
>
> And even if they haven't, if someone complains, I can simply point to VRI :-)
>
> Therefore, the easiest way to 're-license' Squeak is to:
> a) download the OpenCroquet Jasmine release;
> b) strip all the 'excess code' (compared to, say, a Squeak basic image)
> c) release as Squeak under any license we like (plain MIT would be fine).
> This is a bit of a technical effort, but at least we know how to deal
> with that, and saves us the hassle of having to talk to Apple, Disney,
> ... lawyers.

Thanks to Cees, we have a concrete plan to change the licence.
How can we do it effectively ? Do we need to decide on the
squeakfoundation mailing list ?

--                                                         oooo
Dr. Serge Stinckwich                                     OOOOOOOO
Université de Caen>CNRS UMR 6072>GREYC>MAD               OOESUGOO
http://purl.org/net/SergeStinckwich                       oooooo
Smalltalkers do: [:it | All with: Class, (And love: it)]   \  /
                                                             ##