How to change the squeak licence ?

Lothar Schenk lothar.schenk at gmx.de
Tue May 10 11:56:47 UTC 2005

Bert Freudenberg schrieb:

> Am 09.05.2005 um 11:44 schrieb Lothar Schenk:
> > Section 2 of the Squeak-L defines how derivative works may be
> > sublicensed (and
> > is that the same as "relicensed"?). In particular, it stipulates
> > that (1) the
> > modified software must be supplied free of charge, [...]
>
> Now this is bordering on FUD.

More like CUD - concern, uncertainty and doubts - all on my part and all from
a legal layman's perspective, to be sure. And it's all been chewed through
before...

> Exhibit A specifically applies only to existing classes and the VM
> (the "base system").

And that's what's distributed with every Squeak and Croquet package, no? So,
isn't it reasonable to ask where you can find Exhibit A, and more generally
the Squeak-L, in the license for the Croquet package, for example?

> This is to both enable the possibility of
> commercial or even closed source use (by building "applications" on
> top of the base system) while enforcing sharing of enhancements to
> the base system. Very well-balanced, IMHO. And no, IANAL.

I'm not saying you can't do these things. You can. But it is my impression
that if you distribute the "base system" along with anything else you may
have and own, you have to deal very carefully with what the Squeak-L says and
abide by its terms, or you might not have a base to stand upon.

Lothar