the Difficulty of using squeak

John H Woods gmane.squeak at jhwoods.com
Wed May 11 21:02:10 UTC 2005

Ross Boylan <RossBoylan <at> stanfordalumni.org> writes:

> And then I ran into this weird problem in which changes did not get
> recorded for a duplicate class I created.  More mysteries to unravel.
>
> I'm not saying I can't eventually figure these things out.  I am
> saying that it's not much fun--in fact, the whole experience has me
> feeling stupid and frustrated.  And I am saying it's harder than it
> needs to be.  (Actually somewhat like my experience with Zope, by the
> way).

Thanks Ross.  As a new Squeaker, although historically a reasonably proficient
Smalltalker, I find it very frustrating.  Why are things harder than they seem
to need to be?  And if they really do need to be that hard, they need a bit
more documentation.  It would probably be different if we'd been along for the
ride from the beginning, but ordinary mortals joining the Squeak community now
face a huge learning curve.  And that seems to be against the spirit of
Smalltalk, as far as I can see.  I never fought so hard with VisualWorks.

. . . John