Mantis and Monticello

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Fri May 13 19:48:55 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 15:35 -0400, Lex Spoon wrote:
> Alexandre Bergel <bergel at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
> > I find the use of Mantis quite tedious compare to BFAV. Using
> > the mail as the vector to send fixed is well supported in Squeak.
> > You just have to press 'mail to list' in a changeset browser. With
> > mantis it takes longer to publish a fix.
>
> Yes.  On the other hand, I find Mantis much easier to browse and
> contribute to.  Whenever I open BFAV it goes to sleep for several
> minutes while it downloads and processes piles of email messages.  By
> the time it comes to life I have often forgotten why I was opening it or
> have run out of time for messing on Squeak.
>
> Neither one of these tools supports packages very well, and that's
> something we should fix.  There are tons of bug trackers out there that
> are great for package-based processes. Two notable examples are the
> Debian bug tracker and the SourceForge software.  I'm sure there are
> many more.
>
> In the meantime?  I don't know.  One compromise is to post on Mantis and
> then email the package maintainer.  That way, you get the persistence of
> a bug tracker, but package maintainers don't have to poll the whole list
> of bugs all the time to see if anything applies to them.
>
> -Lex

Actually, I don't know if Mantis is as bad as you think for Packages.
Admittedly it's not great but I think it's fine until the Package has
enough traffic to need it's own project, which Mantis can provide as
well, or they decide to move to their own bug solution.

Any Category in Mantis can have associated with it an email address that
will get emails whenever activity goes on within the Category.  I
haven't tested this but I would assume that whenever a new report is
created with the Category then the email address will get that report.

Ken