Dynamic namespaces via exceptions

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue May 17 13:28:45 UTC 2005

Avi Bryant <avi.bryant at gmail.com> wrote:
> To broadly call this the "Lisp" mechanism is a little misleading: most
> modern lisps are lexically scoped, like Scheme and Smalltalk, not
> dynamically scoped (IIRC, one exception in common use is elisp, the
> language used by emacs).

Agreed, except that in Common Lisp you can still dynamically bind if you
want to.  In fact, dynamic binding is the default for global variables.
I don't remember the details....  But I know it's in there.

Lisp is the anything language.  That they do it it all with simple
s-expression-based syntax is impressive.

-Lex