[Q] Is 3.8 really final ?

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue May 17 18:33:57 UTC 2005

I'm glad to hear that RB works with just a small change.

"Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene" <edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
> By the way , you begin to prepare Universes for 3.8 ?

I'd like to but I'm terribly busy this summer.  My tentative plan is to
skip 3.8 and do another one for 3.9.  Also, there is a packages team now
that is talking about replacing the universes process one day; if they
beat me to the punch then great!

In the meantime, the development universe is open for updates, and right
now that universe is tracking 3.8.  Generally the development universe
has dependencies and has stuff that is more likely to load, while
SqueakMap has the newest published version of everything.  Post code to
each of these as appropriate.

If anyone is interested enough in this to put in the 10-20 hours
required to produce a 3.8 package set, then email me and I can help you
with any infrastructure you need.  Or, of course, just do it yourself
without asking -- all the software and information is online and freely
available.

> As  I only have modem connection I manage to have SqueakMap working without
> connection (useful if you loaded packages some time and wish try other image
> build ).

Universes caches packages in the filesystem, but not the map itself --
the map would have to be reloaded in each image.  To get the map
caching, the simplest approach would be to have Squeak going through a
caching HTTP proxy such as Squid.  Or, make a modem connection for just
long enough to download the map.

-Lex