[Q] About compressing

Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Sun May 22 22:48:35 UTC 2005

Lex Spoon puso en su mail :

> Edgar posted some ZIP-ing code and asked about gzipping.  It turns out
> that there are some gzip examples in the image.
>
> (1) The "mail to list" feature in the change sorter uses gzipped change
> sets.  If you know this (and now you do :)), you can do the following to
> find the relevant code:
> 1a. open a change sorter.
> 1b. bring up the menu in the top-left pane.
> 1c. get a halo around the "mail to list" menu item
> 1d. explore it, seeing that #mailOut is the relevant selector
> 1e. Look for implementors-of mailOut
>
> (2) You can also simply look at users of class GZippThingamabob.  Open a
> browser, find-class "gzip", and then "class refs" on the resulting
> class.  There are some good-looking examples, including the "mail to
> list" one and one that compresses an arbitrary file.
>

> I hope this helps.  These kind of code-navigation skills are very helpful
> for using Squeak; a lot of the "bad" documentation (not all!) of Squeak
> is because the old hats are good at these things and quietly assume that
> you will be as well.
>

> On your other question, Edgar, about compressed sources, I don't know
> the details but there is an intriguing method named #compressSources....
>
> Lex
Lex:
Very kind of take a minutes.
Yes, I find what you point.
And a one in CodeLoader compressFileNamed: aFileName in: aDirectory.
If I fileOut and later compress.
My question remains because I cann't figure out how using
RWBinaryOrTextStream as a fake file (as I could do in example I send).
As compressSources , that is the Dan's marvel what I asking if it is a
"general 1/3 compress solution" or maybe only works for large files.

So I remain trying until have success :)

Very thanks.

Edgar