Current Harvesting Status/Organization

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Tue May 24 21:10:59 UTC 2005

I'm wondering what the current status is of the harvesting process from
the standpoint of the harvesters.  I'm a little bit bothered by the most
recent addition to 3.9alpha.  Judging from the HTTP info
6667TallySupport-ab.cs went into the update stream on the 22nd or 23rd.
For some reason this update has no preamble although the versions both
in BFAV (closed by the Janitors) and with the issue (ID 1014) on Mantis
have preambles.  Also the issue on Mantis is still marked as new and
there is no evidence that harvesting (beyond the review step) is
occurring regarding this issue.

I realize we are in a highly transitional time here and that as a result
there may be some confusion, but even if we don't have solid stated
procedures I would hope that anyone modifying the update stream will
make some effort to maintain a minimum level of documentation regarding
the handling of each issue.

Admittedly I'm complaining here a little bit.  But more than anything I
would really like to have a bit better understanding of how updates will
be entering the update stream in near future and what sort of changes,
if any, those doing that work would like to see in the process.

Very shortly I want to state publicly that in my opinion the future of
Squeak progress is in the form of individuals and teams taking direct
responsibility for packages and parts of the image.  I think that anyone
who has an interest in doing this should not wait and should speak up
ASAP.

Ken