squeak on bsd (was: team laptop reports failure)

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue May 31 04:27:00 UTC 2005

On May 30, 2005, at 2:40 PM, Jimmie Houchin wrote:

> John Pfersich wrote:
>
> However, NetBSD seems interesting. It even includes the Squeak vm.
> Cool!
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/pkgsrc/lang/squeak/
> README.html
> How many linux distros from the distro source contain such?
> Are there any?
>
> I don't know that NetBSD is going to be any significantly or
> inherantly less secure than OpenBSD.
>
> I look forward to hearing from Jecel on what he learns

I would think OpenBSD is more secure, after all that is it's mandate.
NetBSD has a mandate to be
available on *all* platforms, so different objectives. At a casual
glance BSD systems (I've OpenBSD and FreeBSD)
tend to offer a small core allowing you to boot a machine then apply
ports of applications to build out the desired machine.
Linux distros for the most part offer 5GB of stuff and expect you to
minimize the software installed, somehow they want to be Windows?

I'll note all these BSD will allow you to install via floppy and the
internet.

For OpenBSD Squeak ports & packages see
http://www.monkey.org/openbsd/archive2/ports/200407/msg00069.html
&
http://www.openbsd.org/3.7_packages/i386.html
squeak-vm-3.6.3p0.tgz
Or for FreeBSD
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=squeak&stype=all&release=5-
STABLE%2Fi386

Although these are older I've compiled the Squeak VM on my OpenBSD
systems with a little bit of fiddling via our source tree.

PS Technically the largest BSD distribution is OS-X. Some of the key
maintainers of FreeBSD now work at Apple after WindRiver wound down
(ie Jordan Hubbard)

===