xcode 2.0 and GCC 4.x and Squeak

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue May 31 06:11:31 UTC 2005

Managed to spend a few hours building a VM under Xcode 2.0 and GCC 4.x.

I've posted a set of changes under the 3.8.8b3 series (unreleased) to
get the VM to compile without too many warnings. Also I discovered
and cross check with other developers that GCC 3.3 with '-fast' still
produces the fastest assembler as compared to 4.x which does a lousy
job without lots of hints.

GCC 4.x on the other hand flagged a number of errors and pointed out
the fetching of volume create dates was wrong. Further checking
showed this never worked, and required a bit of tinkering to get the
HFS+ 64bit date/time stamps into Squeak epoch date/times.

All this plus the project updates have been posted to the SVN server.

===