RV: Instrumenting Send and what is StrikeFontSet>displayString:on:from:to:at:kern:baselineY: doing?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Nov 3 11:38:35 UTC 2005

On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 10:03:25PM -0500, David T. Lewis wrote:

> > > <intermittent irreproducible bug description snipped>
> >
> On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 05:38:55PM -0800, John M McIntosh wrote:
>
> > I think the issue here (and might suggest you could make the change)
> > is to set a flag on the signal change to avoid a race condition
> > between the interpreter and the signal handler for access to the file
> > handle. I wonder if the file gets closed by the signal as we are
> > doing fprintfs....
>
> It sure seems like it must be that sort of problem. Only thing is,
> nothing is being done in the context of the Unix signal handler.
> By forwarding the Unix signal to a Squeak Semaphore, we are
> ensuring that the signal handling work is done in the interpreter
> itself, hence no such race condition should be possible.
>
> Unfortunately, noone has informed the bug of the impossibility
> of its existence, so it still seems to be happening.
>
> I'll try harder to reproduce this, and see if your suggestion helps.

John,

I've not been able to reproduce this bug. I set up a shell script
to signal Squeak with SIGUSR1 then SIGUSR2 continuously with
100msec delays, then did things in Squeak including filein/out,
edit code, etc.  The trace logging worked, and I had no further
problems.

So... don't worry about the bug, it was probably just something
dumb I did in the course of testing an earlier version of my changes.

Dave