MC passwords in images?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Nov 4 19:56:47 UTC 2005

Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> Since Monticello-bf.266, passwords were removed at image startup. It
> does not remove the user name, instead, you are asked for the  password
> if a user name is set but no password.
>
> Because people did not like having to re-enter the password after  each
> image start, Monticello-bf.268 changed that to reset the  passwords only
> if the author initials were reset, too.

Ouch!!! This is so unbelievably naive I can hardly believe it. Does
anyone besides me realize *when* exactly the author initials get
cleared? It's when the full path to the image is different. So, let's
say I have an image which at C:\Squeak\SqueakX.Y.image and I give that
to somebody else and that person puts the image into C:\Squeak\ what do
we get? We get all the passwords in nice and plain text.

Cheers,
   - Andreas