MC passwords in images?

Cees De Groot cdegroot at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 01:35:43 UTC 2005

On 11/5/05, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
> The way I look at it it's a fact that we use images to
> share.

Sometimes. Often not. I share the vast majority of my images with only
myself. But I'm a programmer, so I share code through MC more than
objects.

> The "Scrub&Save" entry is completely missing the point unless you
> *always* Scrub&Save - the issue I was having happened because somebody
> asked me for an image, and I shared it without starting, checking, and
> realizing that this image did indeed contain sensitive passwords.

Yup - because it is hidden, MC might be an exception (or not - I don't
use Celeste, or eIRC, or ....). However, I'm quite sure that if the
World Menu had a 'Scrub&Save' right below or above the 'Save' , it'd
quickly become second nature.

Note that I'm not saying that this is necessarily the best solution; I
can envision a sort of Squeak Keyring in an external file - such a
thing would be easy to make and secure enough for most purposes. I
would very much object against having to remember to pick up a
gazillion files when I move an image - if that'd be the end result of
packages stashing all sorts of stuff in external files, I rather stick
with everything in the image and a good scrub now and then.

So basically what I'm saying is that this is a valid problem, there
are alternative solutions, and especially that calling someone who
represents a solution that may be not the solution you'd like to see a
troll is hardly productive. That's indeed the sort of stuff that
spawns pointless discussions :)