MC passwords in images?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sat Nov 5 03:30:16 UTC 2005

Cees De Groot wrote:
> On 11/5/05, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
>
>>The way I look at it it's a fact that we use images to
>>share.
>
> Sometimes. Often not. I share the vast majority of my images with only
> myself. But I'm a programmer, so I share code through MC more than
> objects.

This is partly why I considered this post to be a troll to begin with -
it is obviously inviting one of these "files are evil - no they are not
- yes they are" discussions and you are jumping right on a similarly
irrelevant discussion. Or do you really mean to say that it's okay if we
"sometimes" hand out our passwords to the rest of the world?! ;-)

Like it or not, we *do* use images to share, whether that is
"sometimes", "once in a while" or "rarely" doesn't matter. And if (as I
think) we all agree that sensitive personal information should never be
shared without explicit consent, then the only response is that, no,
images are *not* reasonable places to store these passwords. Which
effectively says everything there is to say about the issue but I will
go through the motions nevertheless.

>>The "Scrub&Save" entry is completely missing the point unless you
>>*always* Scrub&Save - the issue I was having happened because somebody
>>asked me for an image, and I shared it without starting, checking, and
>>realizing that this image did indeed contain sensitive passwords.
>
> Yup - because it is hidden, MC might be an exception (or not - I don't
> use Celeste, or eIRC, or ....). However, I'm quite sure that if the
> World Menu had a 'Scrub&Save' right below or above the 'Save' , it'd
> quickly become second nature.

And I'm quite sure that it wouldn't matter. Because, in the case in
question, if I *would* have thought about the fact that this was indeed
an active development image I would indeed have checked it. But I
didn't. So, unless I always use "Scrub&Save" this would have been the
exact same situation - simply because when you look at that image file
you don't see a big red marker saying "this image contains passwords".

That's why "Scrub&Save" doesn't help - it is great if you think of it
(but if you think of it you don't need it), it is great if you always
use it because then you don't have to think of it (but if you always use
it you may as well not store the sensitive data in the image to begin
with) but unless either of the two is true, Scrub&Save is essentially
pointless[*].

[*] BTW, I'm not denying that Scrub&Save could be helpful for having a
central entry point to cleanse sensitive information but it still
requires one to remember that some random image contains sensitive
information which is why I consider it pointless. If there is no
sensitive data in the image, then there is nothing to remember about
sensitive data. What we as developers ought to do is to provide a
framework to store such sensitive information so that (portions of) it
can be shared given the explicit consent. But the image is simply not
the place to store such sensitive data.

> Note that I'm not saying that this is necessarily the best solution; I
> can envision a sort of Squeak Keyring in an external file - such a
> thing would be easy to make and secure enough for most purposes. I
> would very much object against having to remember to pick up a
> gazillion files when I move an image - if that'd be the end result of
> packages stashing all sorts of stuff in external files, I rather stick
> with everything in the image and a good scrub now and then.

But this statement is absurd. I have been talking specifically about
passwords not "gazillion files" and there is no reason to assume that
storing (cached) passwords externally would lead to having to remember
*anything* when you move an image. To the contrary - now you do NOT have
to remember to cleanse sensitive information since it is not stored in
the image when you move it.

> So basically what I'm saying is that this is a valid problem, there
> are alternative solutions, and especially that calling someone who
> represents a solution that may be not the solution you'd like to see a
> troll is hardly productive. That's indeed the sort of stuff that
> spawns pointless discussions :)

Well, okay, maybe it wasn't a troll. But the proposal sure doesn't
qualify as a "solution" for the problem I was describing. Simply because
having that option would *not* have prevented sharing the passwords (I
would have had to be aware of the fact that that image contains
passwords, and if I would have been aware I most definitely would have
done a quick check for any MC passwords). The three actual solutions I
can see are:
1) completely avoid sharing images, or
2) make people aware of the fact that a random image file contains
sensitive information, or
3) just don't store sensitive personal information in the image but
someplace else
Out of these three 1) seems not feasable, 2) seems very hard, and 3)
seems like the obvious trivial solution to the problem. "Scrub&Save"
does not contribute any alternative solution that would have prevented
the problem under discussion.

Cheers,
   - Andreas