A wish for the File Team

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Sat Nov 5 17:19:52 UTC 2005

On Nov 5, 2005, at 11:35 AM, tim Rowledge wrote:

> Issues I can recall from last time I looked at his code-

<snip>

> the big one - it's a new way of doing the whole socket/sewrial/midi/
> file thing and so involves people spending the effort to learn it
> and dump the old code and habits.

I think "dump the old code" is the crux of the issue here. The
problem isn't so much that it's a new way of doing things as that it
can't co-exist with the old way of doing things. This means that
switching to Flow can't be done gradually, and so any package
maintainer that moves his package to use Flow instantly makes himself
incompatible with all other packages that use files, sockets, streams
etc.

Colin