A wish for the File Team

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Sat Nov 5 17:56:58 UTC 2005

Hi Tim--

 > too much handwritten stuff in the plugin, so rewriting to do before
 > I'd accept it for VMMaker

	Is Flow the only plugin that has handwritten material? Is it a
requirement that all plugins be written completely in Smalltalk? Or does
the plugin just need to be able to run under the virtual machine
simulator? I've written the support for that.

 > all in one plugin (easy for his own convenience, bad for VMMaker)

	Why? Surely there are other plugins that combine several things into
one? Who gets to decide where to draw the lines between plugins?

 > strong attachment to host threads, so a bummer for no-thread OS's and
 > embedded platforms

	Which host platforms are you really talking about? Isn't it just  RISC
OS, the one you use? Haven't you switched to the MacOS X recently anyway?

 > the big one - it's a new way of doing the whole socket/sewrial/midi/
 > file thing and so involves people spending the effort to learn it and
 > dump the old code and habits.

	(See my response to Colin.)

	thanks,

-C