FFI, ODBC and mysterious crashes

Simon Kirk Simon.Kirk at pinesoft.co.uk
Mon Nov 7 14:04:45 UTC 2005

Simon Kirk wrote:

> Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>

>> Am 07.11.2005 um 14:37 schrieb Simon Kirk:
>>
>>>  I'm still hopeful that I've missed something simple though, to
>>> prevent a complicated solution ;)
>>

>> Does running the VM with -notimer make any difference?
>>
>> - Bert -
>>
> I haven't tried that yet - I must confess I'm very new to Squeak (3
> months of use so far and loving it :) so I don't really understand the
> ins and outs of the VM properly. I'll try the notimer switch now.

That was it! It no longer crashes when using -notimer. So I'm guessing
that there IS a timer being set up in the Intersystems ODBC driver.
Unfortunately it appears that the timer for Squeak is rather important:
It's really running slowly now. I guess I need to read around the option
and find out precisely what it means. Have you got any suggestions for
other ways to get around this (other than getting Intersystems to
re-write their driver)?

Thanks very much for your help, this problem has been around for quite a
while and I was starting to dispair of ever finding the solution.