Some Sensor refactorings ?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Nov 14 05:09:07 UTC 2005

On 13-Nov-05, at 2:30 PM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> Am 13.11.2005 um 21:40 schrieb Serge Stinckwich:
>
>> Hi all,
>> i started to look at the Sensor stuff. I have two questions :
>> - there is two classes : EventSensor and InputSensor. The first
>> one seems to be a replacement of the last one. Do we really need
>> two classes or could we try to merge both ?
>
> IMHO there's nothing wrong with having both classes. In a minimal
> image / VM the old polling InputSensor should actually still work.
> Which is good for getting new ports started. If the VM implements
> the event primitives, the EventSensor will take over.

Sadly this isn't how it works any longer. If you look deep into the
code (which of course allows the code to look deep into you) you will
see that the 'old' input sensor code cannot get to run. Once upon a
time entering an MVC project would awaken a simple InputSensor for
example. I did make some suggestions for a cleaner input handler a
while ago but no one seemed to care enough to even want to discuss
it. There's a related email at http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/
pipermail/squeak-dev/2004-February/073583.html

There isn't really anything simpler about the old polling prims than
the newer  sort-of event prims so we don't really have any good
reason to keep them. I was planning on cutting them out sometime soon
along with lots of other extraneous junk.

tim