Random and unsolicited feedback on 3.9a

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Tue Nov 15 22:07:55 UTC 2005

Hello all,

I had a few spare minutes and grabbed 6704 just to see what was
happening on a few fronts.  While I do not expect the "mainstream" to
start crashing our servers with download attempts, I will say that it is
the best Squeak has looked out of the box, at least that I can recall.

Some purely look/expectation comments:

(1) I miss the abilty to size windows by the borders, but like the
resize targets
(2) you are no doubt aware that the fast drag (outlines only) does not
apply to resizing, with considerable penalty in the debugger and other
complex views
(3) with the new system window borders, I find that the
enabled/disabled color scheme is ever more backwards.  Please consider
making the inactive windows lighter (muted might be a better way to
describe it) and allow the active window to dominate the display.
(4) the gradients across system windows are impressive, but I fear that
I would like to disable them, and so far do not see an option to do so.

I was pleased to see FixUnderscores in the image.  It seems to work,
grumbling about only a few methods in Kernel and Morphic, the two
packages against which I ran it.  Is the plan to leave it to
individuals, or to convert the entire image prior to release of 3.9?
Will the prohibition against underscores in selectors be removed at the
same time?

The ToolBuilder discussion flew by me as it was happening - too much
life in the way.  Seeing it in the image lead me to do some catch up
reading, and the yes/no decision on packaging was hard to miss.  There
was mention of some one-time fixes that should be applied and removed;
no argument.  I would package it, named as some type of one-shot fix,
apply and then remove the package.  I suspect the rest wants to live as
a package that is more or less critical to the tools in the image.  Dumb
question: is the builder a code generator, or is it runtime support that
renders view from specs as they open?  So far, it looks like the latter
to me.

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida