[JOB] Smalltalker wanted

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Thu Nov 17 13:42:23 UTC 2005

Hi folks,

The development group I work with at Micromuse (see micromuse.com)
has an opening for a Senior Engineer. We write the back end for
Proviso, which is software for managing the performance of the really
large networks that telecom carriers have. It's a scalable,
distributed system for gathering and processing network statistics
and loading them into a database for reporting. It's written almost
entirely in VisualWorks.

It sounds like a pretty dull application, but there are some pretty
cool aspects to it. We have a complete Javascript runtime in the
project, and  export parts of the internal object model to the JS
environment for scripting. There are development tools as well -
debuggers, inspectors etc for Javascript objects. Performance and
scalability are big issues, and so we do a lot of work based on
database research - distributed datastructures, stream processing,
query optmization, load balancing, etc.

This is also a good team to work with - all of them strong coders
with lots of Smalltalk experience. We do a lot of agile-style
development, although we're not wedded to XP, Scrum or the like in
particular. Being on-site would be a plus, but we'd consider remote
work.

Here's what we're looking for in a candidate.

Essential:

o Solid experience with dynamic languages
o Experience in an Agile and Test Driven Development environment
o Development targeted for UNIX platforms (e.g. Solaris, AIX, Linux)
o Good understanding of RDBMS technology  (esp. SQL)

Bonus points for experience with:

o Stream Processing
o Query Processing and Optimization
o Compiler Development
o Performance Modeling

Nice to have:

o Network Performance Management (e.g. SNMP)
o Distributed Systems Development
o Server Development

This job is posted on Monster: <http://jobsearch.monster.com/
getjob.asp?JobID=36134657&AVSDM=2005%2D11%2D07+10%3A53%
3A30&Logo=1&q=Smalltalk+Micromuse&cy=us>, so interested candidates
can apply there, or send a resume and cover letter directly to our HR
department: Bill Paliwoda <bpaliwod at micromuse.com>

Cheers,

Colin