MCConfigurations quick how-to

Cees De Groot cdegroot at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 23:52:39 UTC 2005

On 11/24/05, Bert Freudenberg <bert at impara.de> wrote:
> * Toolbuilder should not be necessary for using either Monticello or
> MCConfigurations

The newer MC password manager refers to UIManager default - at least
that's what I remember about the reason why I loaded UIManager.

> * the "upgrade" installation method is the most useful to me, it's
> smart about not clobbering versions that are newer in the image

Would you mind going in a bit more detail what upgrade does?

> * upgrading via config maps from an mcd-enabled SqueakSource server
> is many times faster than loading individual mzc packages, because
> the server builds a binary patch that is applied to the image without
> any snapshotting/diffing

Ah, that's cool - upgrading is a bit slow at times. So you recommend
to switch to mcd and the upgrade method to stay in sync?

> * a configuration can be put in a global variable, then every day
> just say "MyConf updateFromRepositories; upgrade", or say "MyConf
> browse" to change it

Nice tip. Thanks :)