Squeak emailing via AdHocComposition class

Nevin Pratt nevin at bountifulbaby.com
Fri Nov 25 18:17:15 UTC 2005

My application sends emails out (order confirmation emails, "out of
stock" notification emails, "back in stock" notification emails, etc.).
I use the AdHocComposition class (in Squeak 3.5) thusly:

   (AdHocComposition celeste: aServer initialText: aStream contents) submit

where 'aServer' is usually set to my own mail.bountifulbaby.net email
server, and 'aStream' of course has the message to be emailed.

This used to work flawlessly, but now about one email out of about 200
or so get bounced.  Here is a sample of the bounce message (but with
"foo at frontiernet.net" instead of the real email address being sent to,
for privacy reasons):

The original message was received at Fri, 25 Nov 2005 01:57:00 -0700
from bountifulbaby.com [166.70.210.67]

<foo at frontiernet.net>
    (reason: 554 <localhost.localdomain>: Helo command rejected: You are not me. See http://postmaster.frontiernet.net. See http://postmaster.frontiernet.net)

... while talking to mx.frontiernet.net.:

<<< 554 <localhost.localdomain>: Helo command rejected: You are not me. See http://postmaster.frontiernet.net. See http://postmaster.frontiernet.net
554 5.0.0 Service unavailable
<<< 554 Error: no valid recipients

Sometimes the bounce message is a little different, saying something like

     <localhost.localdomain> invalid MTA

But even that message seems to be related to the same Squeak email
configuration issue.

I don't know a whole lot about email transport protocol, but basically
it looks like a configuration issue with the AdHocComposition class,
where it is inserting "localhost.localdomain" as the MTA in the "Helo"
field of the message?  Or something like that-- I don't really know, nor
do I understand it.

Can anybody shed any light on this?

Nevin