Squeak emailing via AdHocComposition class

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Fri Nov 25 18:30:00 UTC 2005

This is a common RedHat configuration problem, for example.  Most
servers don't complain but a server that sends out mail starting with

ehlo localhost.localdomain

or

helo localhost.localdomain

is actually making an error.  It should be sending it's own true
hostname (that supports reverse lookups that match the forward lookup).

The best way to fix this, if I remember correctly, is to fix the
Sendmail configuration by ensuring that the first name listed
in /etc/mail/local-host-names is the proper name.  I believe this is the
name that sendmail will use for the 'helo' command.  There are other
ways to fix this also.

Of course if neither RedHat nor Sendmail are involved here then it's
back to step one.  It would help to have a bit more detailed information
about the mail path.  A little testing with 'telnet <mail server> 25'
and manual SMTP can help diagnose this sort of thing.

I hope this helps somewhat.

Ken