[ANN] SM 2.1

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Tue Nov 29 07:45:43 UTC 2005

Hi people!

I think I missed the announcement of the SM upgrade... :) Anyway, I
posted about the improvements in this release in an earlier post:

	http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2005-November/09
8168.html

...but essentially this is what you need to know:

- When you do "update map from the net" your client will notice that the
server (map.squeak.org) is running SM2.1 and it will ask you to upgrade
your image. If you don't it can't update the map.

- While upgrading it will start blabbering about Monticello vs
MCInstaller for upgrading the loader, pick Monticello. Using MCInstaller
might work too, but I haven't looked carefully.

- Eventually it will reopen the loader and all should be fine. The
loader doesn't contain much any change at all so you can't really see it
is version 2.1. :)

If you are running multiple images in the same directory (as most of us
probably do) and you upgrade one of them to SM 2.1 then you will end up
with a map snapshot version 2.1 in the "/sm" dir.

If you now start *another* non updated image and do "upgrade from net"
in the SqueakMap Package Loader it will end up asking about what class
to convert to yaddayadda... This is a "problem" I will try to fix in the
next SM release (it doesn't detect that a new snapshot is already on
disk in the new format) but right now you need to press alt-. and then
manually execute in a workspace:

	SMSqueakMap bootStrap

...to trigger the upgrade and then it should work as above.

regards, Göran

PS. The main difference in this release from the client perspective is
that it now has a fallback on a server cache so the problem with
packages not being online should hopefully be a problem of the past.