Caché Database System Integration With Squeak

Simon Kirk Simon.Kirk at pinesoft.co.uk
Tue Nov 29 12:28:12 UTC 2005

Hi again Ron.

Ron Teitelbaum wrote:

>Simon,
>
>Thanks for the response.  The VA (US Veterans Administration) uses Caché for
>their medical record system and I would like to attach squeak to that
>system.

Nice to know that there's a large-scale organisation like that using
Caché - you guys will carry considerable clout for getting them to
change things if needed :)

>It really concerns me that you are having this problem with ODBC on Linux.
>Have you considered their XML interface, or do you think that would be way
>to slow?

I must confess I didn't know there was an XML interface. However, I
suspect that it may be a reasonable way to go given a fast enough link
between the client and server machines, and fast enough client and
server hardware. Of course I have no quantifiable metrics for this, but
now you've mentioned this interface I'll probably take a look at it.

>I was hoping to add support by extending their projection classes to
>generate Smalltalk objects, and to connect up using ODBC.  I’m glad you
>mentioned this problem, since I’m running on windows, and I wouldn’t have
>discovered this problem until later while trying to run this on linux.

Glad to have been of help :)

>I would love to see squeak drivers, have you contacted them about the specs?

I haven't yet asked them about their specs directly. I've dropped a few
hints in support emails but they've either missed them or ignored them -
hopefully not the latter as that would indicate that they don't want to
give them up. Still, that's nothing but guesswork and I just hadn't got
around to asking them properly yet - so many other things on the go at
the moment. However if there are two clients asking for the same thing,
it would hopefully mean they'd be willing to cooperate; I can't really
see why they wouldn't want us to add to the range of interfaces to Caché.

Cheers,
Simon