Squeak 3.8 with big fonts is terribly slow

Eddie Cottongim cottonsqueak at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 1 02:12:03 UTC 2005

Measuring 10Browsers, on Windows, going from default fonts to 17 point
comic I got a ~37% slowdown on 3.8 and 3.9a-6681, and a 57% slowdown on 3.7.

I couldn't find any behavior as bad as what you saw. I did find a few
bottlenecks that could be easily fixed and got scrolling about 60%
faster, and brought the 10browser slowdown to about 26%.

Try out these changes and see if they help; if they are useful I'll
submit them for 3.9.

Eddie