What the doormouse said about Alan and the computer revolution

Peace Jerome peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 2 03:30:18 UTC 2005

As a fan of Lewis Carroll it was not hard to spot the
references to his works in squeak culture. So when I
saw the title:

What the Dormouse Said: The Untold Story of How the
Sixties Counterculture Shaped the Personal Computer
Industry
by John Markoff

I figured it was worth browsing. I was not
disappointed. Not only does it give Alan Kay a
prominent mention it illumiated for me a lot of the
impulses that lead to the creation of smalltalk and
squeak.

Besides, it was well told.

Cheers and Joy -- Jerome Peace

>From Grace Slick's White Rabbit:

"One pill makes you larger
Arid one pill makes you small
The ones that mother gives you
Don't so anything at all
Ask Alive when she's ten feet tall
And if you go chasing rabbits
You know you're going to fall
Tell 'em a hookah-smokin'
Caterpillar have given you the call
Call Alice when she was just small
When the men on the chessboard
Get up and tell you where to go
And you just had some kind of
Mushroom and you mind is moving
Slow-go ask Alice I think
She'll know when logic and
Proportion had fallen sloppy dead
And the white knight is talking
Backwards-the red queens off with her head
Remember what the door mouse said:
Feed your head...
Feed your head...
Feed your head..."