[ANN] new version of services available for preview

Romain Robbes romain.robbes at lu.unisi.ch
Mon Oct 3 19:57:11 UTC 2005

On Oct 3, 2005, at 8:11 PM, tim Rowledge wrote:

> On 3-Oct-05, at 4:50 AM, Romain Robbes wrote:
>

>> ok, I did a quick computation
>>
> .. ok and now let's consider the slowdown caused by cognitive
> dissonance of a long-habitual and widely used facility being usurped.
>
> "In this window over here, I get 'normal' d-click behaviour and in
> this window over here I get... whoops, why is it doing nothing? Oh
> it's opening a window. Wassat for? Oh yeah, one of those. Dang. All
> I wanted was to select the word to copy. Bugger"

Well, I did the computation for the double-click because that was the
question asked, but it IS in my list to find something else.
I know it is disturbing to most people, so I'll find something else,
probably triple click for now (since I think using the mouse
constantly is the best way for that). But it is still not cast in
stone if I can find a scheme to easily parametrize this.

> Not to mention the other inconsistencies you'd be introducing -
> d-click next to a surrounding delimiter like {"'([ etc - would that
> also show sender/implementors of the entire phrase? What does that
> mean?

For this (not taking into account whether it is a double click or
something else), I use the parse tree of the method, so it
will be the closest message or variable at the click point.

> drag select across a word/symbol; would that show the senders/
> implementors? For either answer, why?

With this scheme you don't need to select the text anymore. Then the
convention I adopted is that if you see a message in the
body of the code, then you'll more likely be interested in the
implementors. If you are interested in the senders of a message,
you can (n-)click on the method name. This means that you can see the
senders by at least choosing an implementor
and then clicking on the title of the method.

I also thought of a way to reverse the behavior, but did not came
around implementing it yet (well I tried with shift-clicking,
but the events seems to be swallowed most of the time).

> I appreciate the large effort you're putting into the whole
> services thing but this smallish detail is a silly thing to get
> hung up on when as I previously suggested there are much more
> valuable improvements you could turn your talents to.

As I said, I'm not "hung up", sorry for not being clear about that.

Romain

> tim
> --

     Romain Robbes