[Newbee] Salutations

Cees De Groot cdegroot at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 09:39:00 UTC 2005

On 10/5/05, goran at krampe.se <goran at krampe.se> wrote:
> And yes, it will mean the backwards compatibility will suffer

Don't forget we have stuff like the rewrite tool. For really really
big incompatibilities, I'm sure someone will whip up a rewrite script.

Personally, and this gets really boring - I agree 100% with Goran. I
have had the pleasure of analyzing a Weblogic setup last week, and it
sucks big time. There's not much we need to look up to in Java land.
Java is a great means to make loads of money, but that is mostly
because it sucks and most IT managers are completely clueless about
that fact. If you want to earn 120 euros per hour bashing your head
against the wall, go with Java. For all the rest, use
Squeak/Smalltalk.

Still - we could cater a bit more for companies that might be foreign
to our particular community. By offering stable versions, promises
about life cycles, etcetera. And maybe even by paying someone to
remove the irritating bugs we all know about but have learned to work
around ;-)