MDI?

Ron Teitelbaum Ron at USMedRec.com
Fri Oct 7 01:53:42 UTC 2005

Tim,

Ok so what can I do to help with the windows platform?  Is this a new vm?
Can I help testing/programming it?  I couldn't find the code anywhere.

Ron

-----Original Message-----
From: squeak-dev-bounces at lists.squeakfoundation.org
[mailto:squeak-dev-bounces at lists.squeakfoundation.org] On Behalf Of tim
Rowledge
Sent: Thursday, October 06, 2005 9:46 PM
To: The general-purpose Squeak developers list
Subject: Re: MDI?

On 6-Oct-05, at 6:31 PM, Ron Teitelbaum wrote:

> Hey Tim,
>
> Interesting,
>

>> I'm puzzled; I understood that MDI had been deprecated even by m$ for
>> years. Why would you want to use such a poor UI idea?
>>

> Ok well I've always talked about MDI and Multiple windows as the
> same thing.
> It was a way of having multiple documents each in their own
> window.  Or
> multiple interface each in its own window.  So I think your project
> is what
> I'm looking for.  What can I do to help make this work on windows?
>
> So what is MDI?

Multiple Document Interface - the old style Windows silliness where
an application had a single window and all it's stuff was done inside
with sub-windows as if the application had a private screen. I think
it was a sort of attempt to be like Mac with a screen menubar (now
_there's_ a dumb idea) and yet be a bit different to avoid shouts of
"plaigarist!". Not that it worked of course - remember the lawsuits
back in the 90s?

One could make a claim that Squeak is doing a sort of MDI but I think
it is different.

Ffenestri is hopefully away to let Squeak use real host multiple
windows on multiple screens and even maybe host menus/bars (yeuch). I
feel it will make headless a bit more tidy as well by getting rid of
the idea of The Display in favour of 'this window'.

> I'm glad to have a chance to say hello.  I've heard some about you
> from my
> CIO.
Ooh, heck, what have I done now....

tim