writeImageFile() without snapshot()?

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Fri Oct 7 23:57:20 UTC 2005

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 01:34:04 +0200, Avi Bryant <avi.bryant at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Oct 7, 2005, at 4:09 PM, John M McIntosh wrote:
>
>> Of course if you have a  spare GB or two, you could do the fullGC ask
>> for a block of memory, copy start of memory to end of memory there,
>> then write that out
>> at your leisure, that forgoes the need for fork and the like. Assumes
>> of course you can ask and get 500MB at no cost.
>> Surely the write happens quite quickly on modern high-speed disk i/o
>> machines tho?
>> Seems to me if you're wanting to minimize downtime you fork and do a
>> snapshot, that as noticed takes upwards of image size to do.
>> Otherwise as you say full GC, fork for the write, but does that  save
>> anything?
>
> The scenario is that you have a server packed with large images that you
> want saving to disk periodically.  So mostly what I'm trying to optimize
> is memory usage, but without unreasonable delay by the standards of web
> applications.  The two options that take more or less constant memory
> seem to be a regular snapshot, or GC->fork- >snapshot.  For a largish
> image (100-200MB), a GC takes maybe 2s (acceptable, if annoying) whereas
> a snapshot takes maybe 15s (pretty much unacceptable).  So the forking
> seems like the right choice.  Though if we could get rid of the GC
> altogether that would be great...

I believe that one of the reasons for GC standing in the way of such an
application is the lack of integrating it with the virtual memory paging
mechanism. And 100-200BM is not really that much, IMHO. So it might be
time for considering an implementation of Squeak based on

http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/fiasco/

/Klaus