Complex as extension of Point ... Aaaaargh!

Stéphane Rollandin lecteur at zogotounga.net
Sat Oct 8 10:40:49 UTC 2005

John H Woods wrote:
>>I had also wondered about building Complex out of Point.
> IMHO: PLEASE don't do this.

you give good and convincing reasons not to do so.

but, just for the record:

>  I feel
> that the only reason Complex looks like a child of Point is that it has two
> components --- but then, so does Association!

not quite. a complex number can be seen as a point. mathematically there
is no difference in nature, as we know since 1806:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Robert_Argand
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argand_diagram

>  true to its
> graphical origins, Point interprets '*' to mean scaling

yes, this is really why having Complex be a Point is not convenient.

regards,

Stef