Need to do something

Hilaire Fernandes hilaire at ext.cri74.org
Wed Oct 12 18:50:18 UTC 2005

Cees De Groot a écrit :
>>My idea was that the money we collect via Squeak Foundation can be
>>used to improve
>>Squeak in general.
>>

> That could be your idea, but that's exactly what everyone's afraid of
> - it could not be someone else's idea. And if that someone else has
> donated money, thinking it would be spent otherwise (like on marketing
> etcetera), you get a riot.
>
> Therefore I propose that you first define exactly what the money will
> be used for, then start collecting money. That money is 'earmarked',
> and you'll be sure that none of the contributors will protest against

This will add a lot of unecessary bureaucraty.
AFAIK the Free software foundation is not doing that way.
They pay people to maintain important peace of software and the FSF
receive donation but without explicitly telling where each cents will be
spent.

I guess people donate to a foundation because they want to support the
overall project and they thrust the project.

What you are describing is more looking like a bounty program, which of
course is another way to do the stuff.

Hilaire

--
http://www.ofset.org/petition