Need to do something

Martin Wirblat sql.mawi at t-link.de
Wed Oct 12 22:06:12 UTC 2005

Andreas,

you picked Monticello and VMMaker as an example, but not everyone is
like Avi, Bert, Michael or Tim. Just make a thought experiment, you
propose this, then Göran comes up to make the next attempt (how many did
he already make?) to hand out responsibility to some newly appointed
package-maintainer and now imagine, who will be the first (and roughly
only one) wanting to take this responsibility? Right, the guy with the
swollen eyes.

Secondly, this community is centralized just because this guy likes to
trumpet on the list so that everyone gets confused about what is right
and good and what is not. The main reason for this trumpet solo is to
pretend importance, to be better able to "push" things. Unfortunately
this guy is not able to judge what to push, he even doesn't realize how
his damned "pushing" paralyzes everything. On the other hand we have
here a weak community. Many feel the same, but literally no one stands
up and puts a damper on the trumpeter. Most prefer to not even let out a
tiny mouse whisper. And that wants to be the Squeak community!

With only proposing decentralized package maintenance we will not solve
this problem. I think the opposite is necessary *now* and that is some
sort of central guiding and decision making. It just has to be done by
the right one, someone who has proved his outstanding abilities and
dedication over and over. But that someone shies away from this role.

Well, that someone is *you*.

Regards,
Martin