Need to do something

Peter Crowther Peter at ozzard.org
Wed Oct 12 21:25:14 UTC 2005

> From: [...] Andreas Raab
> Yes, there is a solution: Stop bottle-necking the process.
> The problem is one of scaling.

I agree with Andreas, but I wonder whether the problem goes deeper?  We
have a natural monopoly here: the update stream that makes 'sanctioned'
updates available and (where possible) does so in an order that will not
cause an image to become unusable due to incompatible changes.  The
Harvesters appear to be the guardians of that update stream at present.

If we have a decentralised system that allows several development groups
to make those sanctioned updates available, then one of the following
must hold (I think):

- there has to be a centralised Blesser Of Updates that does not push
incompatible versions onto the update stream (call it a Harvester); OR

- there has to be some sort of communication between those groups so
that they do not push incompatible versions onto the update stream; OR

- it has to be impossible to cause the system to become unstable through
unco-ordinated updates [yeah, right]; OR

- chaos will reign, DLL Hell will happen, ICANN will be owned by the USA
[uhhh]... you name it.

Or, a fifth option, we remove the notion of a centralised update stream
entirely, remove the notion of centrally sanctioned updates, and allow
the community to self-organise via new or available mechanisms.  Chaos
will, no doubt, initially reign, but it might settle down from there.
Or not.

I can't see any other options, but may be looking through my
myopia-conducive spectacles!

		- Peter