updates vs. images -- limiting squeak to code

Michal michal-list at auf.net
Wed Oct 12 23:16:13 UTC 2005

> why do we need an update stream at all .. simply release new images
> when there are new versions, and everyone is expected to reinstall
> their code into that

Please no! Much of the point of squeak is in its seamless integration
of code and non-code objects -- eg. music snippets, notes in Golgi,
images, Connectors diagrams, etc. This is *not* limited to external
projects such as Tweak or Squeakland -- or am I the only person who
hasn't abandonned the squeak of the sqCentral days, with its
'exquisite personal computing environment' ideal driving the project?

Unless that idea is completly dumped, we need much *more* attention to
updating images, not less. In that context what you are proposing is a
bit like having people lose all their emails and other personal files
everytime they upgrade their operating system.

Michal