Need to do something

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Thu Oct 13 09:42:42 UTC 2005

Am 13.10.2005 um 00:10 schrieb Andreas Raab:

> [*] This is also what I mean when I talk about the current process
> competing with development in packages. The fact of the matter is
> that Stefane and Marcus actively destroy the sense of ownership in
> the packages by having their "private 3.9a versions" and happily
> making changes to those packages locally in the 3.9a repository.
> Sorry, this simply won't fly.

Yes, we need to use package maintainers more. But: Keep in mind that
we come from a status where just everything was ignored and *nothing*
happend.
e.g. you said that the people who wanted to package the image failed.
I don't think so: They actually did a lot of chagesets, all of which are
now im 3.8, but it took over a year to harvest them!  And thus people
stopped to put work into that untill the changes they already did get
included.

So there are problems right now with how the whole thing is handled,
I am all for improvement there. E.g. we need to move on to a more
decentralized, package
oriented process.

But there are changes that can't be done differently... e.g.
monticello: it overrides a method from HTTPSocket, thus "unfixing"
everthing we do there. Now
we moved the poxy into thte preferences (so normal people can set the
proxy...), but this means this method changed in a way that the one
provided
by Monticello does not work anymore, but a MC without that override
would not work in the old images.

So for now, I made a for of mc without that override. MC makes
branching and merging simple, so this seemed to be the simplest thing
to do for moving forward.
It's on my TODO to discuss with avi what to do with that.

So bigger refactoring and changes that spread over multiple packages
(and depend on each other) are simpler to manage by just commiting
the change and
then merge with the upstream again.

So I'm all for improving the setup, but we need to make sure that we
don't build too static structures. Especially in the current sytem,
where we see very
interesting dependecies that make it hard to change some part without
impacting another.

       Marcus