updates vs. images -- limiting squeak to code

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Thu Oct 13 18:15:14 UTC 2005

Cees De Groot wrote:

>On 10/13/05, Stéphane Rollandin <lecteur at zogotounga.net> wrote:
>

>>personally I'm in favor of keeping the update stream and the smooth
>>transitions it allows.
>>
>k. How many hours per week are you pledging?

I'll help. But, I don't know what I'm doing ;-)

>Because I hear a lot of 'should this', 'should that', but the actual
>work is done by others... Personally, I think it would be great if we
>could make this transition, and therefore their work, easier. If that
>turns out to be problematic for some unknown group (both
>quantitatively and qualitatively), we can always fix it. I like the
>suggestion of someone else maintaining some update stream in parallel
>and loosely coupled with the core bleeding edge development.
>
>But I don't think that 'marketing', or catering for an unknown group,
>should stand in the way of a solid development foundation.

Maybe I'm way off base here... but... This seems to be one of those
statements similar to "when did you last beat your wife?"
No one suggested (at least I didn't see any statement to this effect)
that a "solid development foundation" would be hindered with
evangelizing the wonders of Squeak. Furthermore, if the community of
contributors/builders continue to look inward to only themselves, Squeak
will remain niche. From some posts here, I realize that is a goal of
some. I, for one, would like the world to see the greatness of Squeak
(if only for my own selfish reasons.)

--
Brad Fuller
(408) 799-6124