Need to do something

Bryce Kampjes bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk
Thu Oct 13 20:36:17 UTC 2005

Avi Bryant writes:

 > Capturing easy integrations with scripts is easy.  Capturing hard
 > integrations with images is easy.  Capturing hard integrations with
 > scripts is hard.  If we bias towards the first two rather than the
 > third, we have more energy for writing interesting code to
 > integrate.  What's bogus about that?

In my experience not all images can follow the the update stream
anyway. I normally run into problems sometime during a beta period
where updating breaks things. Of course I've got about 5 packages
loaded and a few personal patches.

Throwing away the update stream may not make things worse. We can
already update packages from SqueakMap. Letting SM update packaged
modules may allow upgrading images without going through all the
messy intermediate stages. Also if Monticello is involved with
the update, it's more likely to respect my changes to my image.

But then, I'm not working on either tools or harvesting so this
is just talk.

Bryce